Starting a blog is one of the best ways to reach out to a large audience online without meeting them in person. With your blog, you can put what you have in your mind on the internet and let netizens see them and interact. However, you need money to start a professional blog. What you need money for include:
You also need plugins. Some are free while some a free with paid service. However, the free plugins can still help as a beginner. But, what if you want to start your blogging career without a dime to know if you would be able to survive after a couple of days?
Well, we will walk you through how to create a WordPress blog for free without spending a dime on a domain or hosting service. But if you want to go professional with your blog you need to get yourself a domain name.
Starting a WordPress blog does have a few disadvantages which you want to consider before we go ahead to detail the steps to take to start your first free blog on WordPress.com.
WordPress.com is an open source that you can create for free and monetize to make money. But, the downside to creating a free WordPress site is that you cannot remove wordpress.com from the domain name.
You will understand this as we proceed with this article. But let me brief you on what that means. If you choose your WordPress blog domain name “Thentrance”, WordPress.com will turn it to “thentrace.wordpress.com” instead of “thentrance.com.”
With this, you don’t need a hosting service to house your content for you. WordPress.com will house both the domain and the content on your webpage. You can move the content later to a self-hosted service if you no longer want to use the free WordPress service again.
Recommended: How to Install WordPress on cPanel
How to Create a WordPress Blog for Free
It’s time to start your free blog on WordPress. You won’t spend a dime. All you just need is to follow our directions here. We will take it from the start to the very end until you publish your first article on your new blog.
WordPress is the most popular website builder on the internet that supports drag and drop [self-hosted] but with the free WordPress, you have limited control over what you do.
Now, to start with, below are the steps to take to create a WordPress blog for free without buying a domain name.
- Go to the official WordPress free website builder.
- Click on “Start your Website” to the top right.
- Type the following and click “Create your Account.”
- Email address
- You will be directed to where to create a domain name. Skip the steps and click on the continue button. You will be taken to your profile page. See the image below for clarity.
- Click on “Create your First Site” under the call to action asking you to create your website.
- Scroll down under the list of suggested domain names and choose the free version as shown in the image below.
- Select “Start with a free site” when you are prompted to “Choose a plan.”
- It’s time to choose your blogging purpose. Select any of the options that match your intention to start the blog and hit the “Continue” button.
- Choose your blog category. Just click on the drop menu and select the category you think your blog belongs to. Click on the “Continue” button once you have selected it.
- Give your blog a “Title” and “Tagline.” They are both optional though.
- A title is what your blog is all about.
- A Tagline gives a brief description of your blog.
- Choose from either to:
- Start writing
- Start learning
- View Design
- Start writing helps you to start writing your first blog post instantly.
- With the options to start learning, you will be taught how to navigate the free WordPress site in the video.
- View design will take you to your blog theme and designs. You can manoeuvre this to suit your preferences.
- You can also skip these suggestions above to proceed further.
- Once you click on “Skip to dashboard” you will be taken to your free WordPress site dashboard where yan edit your blog posts, change theme, browse theme, enable post sharing, etc.
Congratulations! You have successfully launched your first blog on WordPress without spending a dime all for free on WordPress.
We believe that with this guide on how to create a WordPress blog for free you should be able to create your WordPress blog without spending a dime. If you have any problems don’t hesitate to leave a comment below and we will be glad to help.