How to Change Domain DNS
The process to change a domain DNS depends on your registrar. Although the end result is to ensure that the domain is pointed (propagated) to the right source to avoid errors reaching the website.
The steps to change DNS on Godaddy is different from the steps to take to change DNS on Namecheap or Hostgator and other domain registrars due to individual configuration.
But if your domain name and hosting service account are from the same registrar; then, there is no need to change your DNS as it will be pointed automatically.
Therefore, here in this article, we will discuss how to change domain DNS for instant propagation.
The time it takes for a domain name to propagate after the DNS has been changed depends on the registrar. However, the domain is expected to propagate globally within 48 hours.
Recommended: How to Install WordPress on cPanel
How to your Domain Registrar
You need to contact your hosting service company to get your DNS if your domain name is registered with a different registrar. For instance, if you register your domain name with Namecheap and hosting service with WPX; you will need to contact WPX for your web hosting DNS.
Meanwhile, your DNS will always be in your hosting service account dashboard. But if you are a novice and you aren’t sure where your DNS is hidden you’d need to contact your hosting service to confirm the DNS before you proceed to change it.
You can use services [free] like Domaintools to find your domain name registrar. Using this tool is quite simple. Just follow the steps below.
- Go to the official Domaintools who.is [link above] website.
- Type your “Domain Name” and click on the “Search” box.
- Scroll to “Registrar” and expand the column to reveal the name of your domain registrar.
We registered this domain name on Namecheap. That is why you see Namecheap Inc as the registrant as encircled in the image above.
If you follow these steps correctly you will be able to find your domain name registrar. That is the first step. Now, you can log into the registrar to change the domain DNS to your hosting service DNS to link both the domain and the web hosting service together.
How to Change Domain Name DNS
There are two methods that you can adopt to change your domain name DNS.
- You can contact your registrar to change your DNS for you.
- You can change the domain DNS yourself.
Both methods still required you to get the DNS from your web hosting account. However, to usher your domain name registrar to change the DNS for you means that you’d need to provide all the needed requirements such as the domain name, login, DNS, and some other basic information that the representative would need to carry out the task for you.
How to Change Namecheap Domain Name DNS
Follow the steps below to change your domain name DNS on Namecheap if you registered your domain name with Namecheap.
- Sign into your Namecheap account.
- Select “Domain List” on the left pane and click the “Manage” button associated with your domain.
- Scroll to “Nameserver” and click on the drop menu that shows “Namecheap BasicDNS” and select “Custom DNS.”
- Enter your “Web Hosting Domain Nameserver (DNS)” and click on the “Checkmark” to save changes.
Note: You are to provide at least two DNS. If your hosting service use more than 2 DNS ensure you typed all the DNS into the column by clicking on the add button to add more column to the DNS column and hit the checkmark button to save changes.
How to Change Domain DNS on Domain.com
Kindly follow the steps below to change your domain name DNS on Domain.com if they’re your domain registrar.
- Log into your Domain.com account.
- Click on “DNS & Nameserver” on the left pane.
- Verify the domain name whose DNS you want to check before your continue.
- Click on the three dots in front of ns1.domain.com.
- A pop-up will appear. Enter your domain registry DNS and click on the “Update” button.
- Click on ns2.domain.com and repeat the same process for the second Nameserver.
Once you have updated the nameserver it will take a maximum of 48 hours to complete that propagation to make your website available across the globe.
Change Domain DNS on Bluehost
Follow the steps below to change your domain DNS with Bluehost.
- Log into your Bluehost account.
- Click on “Domains” on the left side of your account to reveal all domain names available on your account.
- Click on the “Drop” menu beside the domain name and choose “DNS.”
- Your Bluehost domain information with the default DNS will pop-u.
- Click on the “Edit” button to the top right.
- Choose “Custom” under “Setup type.”
- Enter your web hosting DNS and click on the “Save” button.
Once saved the updated DNS will appear. Kindly confirm the new nameserver to ensure they are correct for proper propagation.
How to Change Domain DNS on Siteground
Siteground is a domain registrar and also a hosting company. However, if they are your registrar and not hosting; below are the steps to take to change your domain nameserver with Siteground.
- Firstly, you need to sign into your Siteground account.
- Click on “Service” in the navigation.
- Choose “Domain” beside “Hosting.”
- Delete the default Siteground domain nameserver.
- Enter the Domain Nameserver of your registrar.
- You can add up to 4 DNS depending on your registrar.
Once you have completed the DNS setup your domain nameserver will be displayed beside your domain name by Siteground. You then need to wait for propagation.
How to Change DNS with Hostgator
Hostgator is another hosting service and domain registrar just like other domain registrars and hosting services in the market. To change your DNS with Hostgator kindly follow the steps below.
- Sign into your Hostgator account.
- Click “Domains” on the left pane to see your domains list.
- Click on the domain name whose DNS you want to change from the list.
- You will the default Hostgator domain nameserver.
- Click on the “Change” tab close to the default nameservers.
- Choose “Manually set my name servers.“
- Enter your hosting name server into the column provided and click on “Save name servers.”
Once you have changed the DNS successfully it will pend verification. And once the verification is completed your domain propagation will be initiated. Your site should start working within 48 hours.
How to Change Domain Name Servers with GoDaddy
No doubt; GoDaddy is a popular household name when it comes to domain registrar and hosting services. You can have a domain with GoDaddy without hosting your site with them. In that case, you will learn how to change your GoDaddy DNS here.
- Sign into your GoDaddy account.
- All your Domain names on Godaddy will appear on the homepage.
- Click on the three-dot beside the domain name you want to change its DNS.
- Select “Manage DNS” from the drop menu.
- Select “I’ll use my own nameservers” from the interface.
- Enter your hosting DNS into the domain name server column.
- To add more columns click on “Add Nameserver.”
- Click on the “Save” button to save the changes you made.
- GoDaddy will pop a warning message to confirm the changes you made.
- Check “Yes I consent to update my nameserver for the selected domain name” and click on the “Continue” button.
Your domain name will complete its propagation within the next 48 hours.
How to Change Domain Name Servers with WordPress
WordPress.com is free but you can upgrade to a paid version to remove the WordPress extension from your domain name. However, since WordPress hosting service is created with automation you may decide to stay with them or choose a self-hosting service by migrating your WordPress to your preferred hosting company.
Well, if you are keen to know how to change domain DNS with WordPress here are the steps to take.
- Sign in to your WordPress.com account.
- Click on “My Site.”
- Select “Upgrades” and choose “Domain.”
- Choose the “Domain” name you would love to change to.
- Select “Change your name servers & DNS records.”
- Toggle off the “WordPress.com” name server option to access the option to use a custom name server.
- Enter the name server you want to change to into the column provided and click on “Save Custom Name Server.”
WordPress.com will confirm the DNS and start the propagation. Once the domain name propagation is completed you will be able to access it anywhere in the world.